Licensing & Activation FAQs
- 1. How does licensing work?
- The customer purchases a software product for which a license is required.
- The customer will receive an activation code and a serial number.
- The customer will then activate the license using the provided codes and the serial number from the hardware key.
- The activation process will provide the customer with a license file that allows the software to be used as long as the matching camera or hardware key (serial number) is present.
- The customer can download new versions of the software as long as their license is valid.
- If the license is time limited, updates must be purchased to extend the period for which it is valid. The version of the software for which the customer's license was originally valid will continue to work even if the license expires.
- 2. How does the USB Hardware Key work?
Software licenses must be locked to a USB Hardware key for most system types. Moving a Hardware Key to another computer also requires the user to copy the associated software license file. This allows software licenses to be moved between different locations more easily, without disturbing cameras in a calibrated setup.
The USB Hardware Key does not contain a license itself. Software licenses must be purchased separately and locked to the Hardware Key. This results in downloadable license files which must be used along with the key.
- 3. How do I activate a new license for OptiTrack software?
We provide two methods for our customers to activate a new license:
- The first method is to use the License Activation Tool that is included with Motive. This tool can be found on the Motive splash screen after launching Motive. Click the License Tool button to launch the Activation Tool.
- The second method is to use our Online License Tool from the Support webpage. This method will send an email with the license file attached. Note that you may need to check your spam folder. Download the license file to C:\ProgramData\OptiTrack\License.
To activate the software you will need your License Serial Number, License Hash, and Hardware Key Serial Number. The License Serial Number and License Hash can be found on the software activation card and on the order invoice, and the Hardware Serial Number can be found on the Hardware Key. Note that if you ordered a software license and chose email delivery, you will not receive a software activation card.
- 4. How do I use licensed OptiTrack software on a new computer?
OptiTrack software can be used on a new computer by reactivating the license, using the same license information. After the license has been reactivated, the corresponding USB Hardware Key needs to be inserted into the PC in order to verify and run the software.
Another method of using the license is by copying the license file from the old computer to the new computer. The license file can be found in the OptiTrack License folder which can be accessed through Start Menu -> All Programs -> OptiTrack -> Motive -> OptiTrack License Folder.
- 5. What happens when my license expires?
After your license expires, you will no longer have access to updates or new releases of the software. However, an expired license will continue to work on versions of the software that were released before its expiration date.
- 6. How long is the duration of an OptiTrack software license, and how can it be extended?
The OptiTrack software license is valid for one year starting from the initial activation date. However, software maintenance is available for purchase, which extends the valid time of the license and allows updates to new versions after the license expires.
If a customer allows a license to lapse, they must purchase updates to cover the entire lapsed time period in order to bring their license into a current valid state.
Note that for customers using active Arena or Tracking Tools licenses to access Motive, software maintenance needs to be purchased for the corresponding license, not Motive maintenance.
- 7. How far into the future can a license be extended?
The license may be extended up to two years into the future.
- 8. Is a license required to use the Camera SDK?
The Camera SDK does not require a license. You can also download the SDK from our website to review it before purchasing.
- 9. Can a software license for Tracking Tools or Arena be upgraded to Motive?
Active licenses from Tracking Tools or Arena can be used to access Motive. In other words, the same software license information can be used to validate Motive as long as the license is active, please check the status of the license through the Check My License tool on our website. Note that the Tracking Tools license will authorize access to Motive:Tracker, and the Arena license will authorize access to Motive:Body.
For customers using the active Arena or Tracking Tools license to access Motive, software maintenance needs to be purchased for the corresponding license, Arena or Tracking Tools, not Motive.
- 10. What happens if the Hardware Key is lost or broken?
A new hardware key will need to be purchased and registered to the existing software license. Before purchasing the new hardware key, please contact Support for assistance.
- 11. Is it possible to transfer an OptiTrack software license to a different Hardware Key?
Transferring the software license to a different USB hardware key is possible but only through contacting Support for assistance.
- 12. Is a software license purchase required when used with a V120:Duo or V120:Trio?
No, purchasing a license is not required when using a V120:Duo/Trio, as the device itself acts as a USB Hardware Key and also includes a built-in, perpetual Motive:Tracker license.
- 13. How do I look up the status of a software license?
The status of a previously activated software license can be found through the Check My License tool on our website. The status will be displayed if you input the Device Serial Number and License Hash Code in the license tool.
- License not required when used with V120:Trio.
- The VCS MotionBuilder Universal Plugin is bundled with a hardware key for license portability.